Re: [NTLK] Travelling to US - baggage advice?

From: Bubba Gump (basdiscussions_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 05:46:40 PDT

First, let me say, welcome to the US! I hope you find our country more reasonable than current foreign policy might otherwise lead you to believe . . .

Probably advice you already know, but just in case not, you will be asked to turn on your Newton and eMate to prove that it is a functioning piece of electronics and not a disguised bomb. You may also have to play some tunes on your 'pod for the fine folks at security.

Also, it is a good idea to put all batteries and film in some clear zip-loc bags, so you can hand them over en masse if asked and they can be quickly and easily scanned visually.

I'm sure, too, that you know: no pointy things. I lost my very nice mechanical pencil because it was, well, pointy.

As for customs, make sure to write a list of all electronic items you're bringing into the country, including serial numbers. This is more important when going home, so that you don't have to pay any taxes on "purchases made abroad." When I travelled over seas, I was able to file a list with our custom department before I left, and they verified everything on the spot when I returned. Not sure how the UK is regarding this.

Good luck, and have fun!