Re: [NTLK] Battery Settings Changing in Prefs

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 16:57:28 PDT

On 8/31/04 1:25 AM, newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de wrote:

(*snip*)

> By "battery prefs" do you mean something that came with the little
> app you mentioned?

No ... I mean the window that pops up when you click on the Battery
icon (at least, in Avi's Backdrop). As for the little app, it's
called Battery Type, from Logic Tools; v 1.1.

(*snip*)

> Not knowing the little app you mention, I assume that what it does
> is change the voltage level that triggers a battery low warning.
> To the best of my knowledge there is no (software) way to trick
> the Newton OS into believing there is a rechargeable pack installed.

Too scared to attempt to charge these things in my Newton ...! When I
need to recharge them, I just use the recharger ... and replace the
Newton's batteries with regular ol' Alkalines. The charger (which, by
the way, was refurbished and only cost me $15) charges AAA, AA, C, and
D cells (though not all at the same time), after discharging them
first. These NiCAD AAs indicated about 1.45 volts when the charger
stopped charging them (it went into "Sleep/Trickle Charge" mode).

Anyway, finally got tired of the changing battery levels (which only
appeared to occur after I turned off the Newton), so I did the
following:

     * Set Battery Type to Alkaline, then closed it
     * Opened the Battery Info window (or whatever it's called) and
verified
     it said "Alkaline," then closed it
     * Set Battery Type to NiCAD
     * Opened the Battery Info window and verified it said "NiCAD"
     * Closed everything, and reset the Newton

Problem solved: The battery preferences behaves as they should!

Amazing what a simple reset will do ....

> Frank

--gdw