Re: [NTLK] New iMac - anybody else think it looks like a tablet?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 11:38:00 PDT

On Sep 7, 2004, at 5:05 AM, Dale Chapman wrote:

> What if they could put this computer behind their 12 inch powerbook
> monitor?
> put in the touch screen...
> find a corner for the battery....
> include wireless and bluetooth...
>
> then we'd be getting there!

Personally, I cannot see what good such a device would be... I mean, I
can't carry it around town, as it's too big to use like a Newton or
Palm. and if I'm home, why restrict myself to the tablet. Give me a
laptop or desktop. And if you are going to use a keyboard with it, you
run into the same problem as the Newt. Where do you prop the tablet
while typing? Ever since the first tablet PCs, I've thought that they
were a solution in search of a problem. The fact that they have yet to
take off, after all these years, and the failure of the Newton means
that the customers agree with me. I can see where there are certain
applications for such a device, and the vertical markets that exist for
them bear that out, but for a consumer device, like a laptop or
Palm---the market just isn't there.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland