Re: [NTLK] New iMac - anybody else think it looks like a tablet?

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 15:53:34 PDT

> Personally, I cannot see what good such a device would be... I mean, I
> can't carry it around town, as it's too big to use like a Newton or

   If it were thinner and lighter, it could go in a breifcase. I'm
thinking size, thickness, and weight of a legal pad of paper.

> run into the same problem as the Newt. Where do you prop the tablet
> while typing? Ever since the first tablet PCs, I've thought that they

   I'd just as soon hook up a chording keyboard and use that - although
I have no idea how long learning to type on a chording keyboard would
take. Or, <sci-fi land here> isn't that what the anti-grav floaters on
it are for?!

> them bear that out, but for a consumer device, like a laptop or
> Palm---the market just isn't there.

   Didn't someone mention a couple years ago on this list that there is
a market segment in Germany (I think they were talking about Germany -
somewhere in Europe) that wanted something like what the Newton
offered? A portable messaging platform that wasn't quite as powerful
as a laptop or subnotebook, was expandable (via PCMCIA), ran a long
time on batteries, and was smaller and lighter than a subnotebook. (I
don't know if the MP2000 is lighter than the lightest subnotebooks out
there, but when you factor in the size, I think the MP2000 wins in
terms of portability)

Jim