[NTLK] eMate 300 - Previously Re: PromptPad

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 20:11:27 PDT

Sorry Jim - thanks Adam for the wake up call. Kinda missed that one
myself in all of Christopher's excitement. ;)

Christopher, looks like you got a basic eMate 300 with only the
standard patch from NOS 2.2 to NOS 2.1

Well batteries, follow the links I included before. I believe you
mentioned youi received dead battery packs with your eMates (two packs
right?) if so you have a few choices. Try to charge them, try the
banging method or re-cell them with like or higher capacity cells.

Someone chime in here please as I'm now only a newbie Mac user. I
still use the PC for primary items and learning Mac usage on a B/W
with 9.2.2 and have not tried yet to connect to my Newton though I've
been following the threads to learn)

If you connect via OSX I believe (though not Mac literate) you will
need a USB to Serial (MiniDIN) or (DB 9), NCU running under Classic or
(OSX Native) DCL, eScale (what else not sure).

From other threads others have suggested skipping the connectivity and
just bypassing it to wireless/connectivity. You of course will need
all the packages for NIE 2.0, WaveLAN wireless, maybe MoreWiFi and on
the off chance Lantern. Others on the list more familiar with Mac
connectivity might be more able to suggest other items like DCL,
eScale and other items needed. The Newton packages should be acquired
on a PCMCIA Storage Card. The Mac apps of course d/l from their
respective locations.

If you would provide your setup you're using someone might be kind
enough to give you a rough outline of things needed from a Mac
perspective or look through www.UNNA.org

If you tell me where you are and I can be given a full list of
packages needed for the Newton to connect to a Mac (I'm not sure what
you need exactly) I can load a card up for you. You can contact me off
list about the card.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung