Re: [NTLK] WWNC & Einstein

From: Dan Mills (vthunder_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 08:32:21 PDT

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:13:39 +0200, Hendrik Lipka <hendrik.lipka_at_gmx.de> wrote:

> Mixed case and spaces are not a problem on unix and windows systems (just a
> question of quoting properly), but when I worked a little bit with the DCL,
> the file and directory names contained characters which are not allowed on
> windows (which have been changed then)

There are tools that really don't work well when you have directories
with spaces in them. Some are fairly widely used tools in *nix, like
automake, or libtool.

I have fresh knowledge on this, because I was just dealing with it
yesterday: trying to build some automake-using code that included
some vs.net-generated directories (with spaces), on linux.

So while, yes, it's generally a problem of quoting properly, no, it
doesn't always work--and even when it can, it's harder to get the
quoting right anyway. The *nix developer culture has that paths with
spaces are evil, so not much uses them, so those edge cases don't get
tested much, so they tend to not really work right all the time.

Sorry for the rant - just a little angry I wasted hours yesterday
dealing with stupid directories with spaces in them ;-)

-Dan