Re: [NTLK] Hi. I'm New!

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 17:32:25 PDT

On Sep 12, 2004, at 12:19 PM, David Hitt wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2004, at 1:51 PM, keith wrote:
>
>> You'll need either a 'Mac serial to Mac serial' cable plus a
>> serial-to-USB dongle if you want to connect it to your Mac. To
>> connect to your PC, you need a 'Mac serial to Windows serial' cable,
>> as every PC I know of still has the chunky RS 232 serial socket on
>> the back.
>
> Alternately, get the Mac serial to RS 232 cable, that will connect the
> Newton to the PC, and get a RS 232 to USB cable, which will then let
> you connect it to the Mac, and then you can do both with the same set
> up.
> As an added bonus, the RS 232 to USB cable can be had much more cheaply
> than the Mac serial to USB converter.

Actually it sounds like you are confusing RS232 with the DB-9 connector
common on PC serial ports?

The mac is fully capable of doing RS-232 over that good old mini-din8
cable that is so common.

The "mac serial to RS 232" cable isn't a valid description of a
particular cable, I think waht you mean is a Mac to PC serial cable,
which would have a DB-9 at one end and the mini din 8 on the other.

Then you talk about a "RS 232 to USB cable" this is also not a real
item, unless you are referring to an adapter like the Keyspan USB to
Serial PDA adapter?

Hope that helps,
Marty