Re: [NTLK] Hi. I'm New!

From: David Hitt (dhitt_at_hatbag.net)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 18:00:41 PDT

On Sep 12, 2004, at 7:32 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> The "mac serial to RS 232" cable isn't a valid description of a
> particular cable, I think waht you mean is a Mac to PC serial cable,
> which would have a DB-9 at one end and the mini din 8 on the other.
>
> Then you talk about a "RS 232 to USB cable" this is also not a real
> item, unless you are referring to an adapter like the Keyspan USB to
> Serial PDA adapter?

I believe you're right--I was probably confusing the terms DB-9 and
RS-232.
(Though largely because I've seen that cable described that way where I
got mine and several other places).
Yeah, by "Mac serial to RS 232" I meant the "Mac serial to PC serial."

The "RS-232 to USB cable" may not be a real item, but there are plenty
of places online that will sell you one, under that name.
Basically, it's just a PC-serial-to-USB cable instead of a
Mac-serial-to-USB cable.
The terminology I used may be imprecise, but it's how the cable is
often listed for sale.

ie:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&category=20313&item=5719864071&rd=1

While the Keyspan Mac-serial-to-USB adapters I saw when I was looking
for a connection solution were all pretty pricey, the PC-serial-to-USB
cable listed above has a BIN price of 99 cents (though the shipping
brings it up to $11--there are probably better deals out there).

David