Re: [NTLK] New eMate with Ethernet and Newtendo Problems

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 09:17:14 PDT

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:12:17 -0400, Kirk Zathey <zathey_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> ...to use the Atlan multi-driver from
> http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newted0e.htm. I have NIE, Ethernet
> Module, and Newton Devices. Everything works great until I plug in my
> D-Link 650 Card (which I bought specifically for the newton) and then
> it gives me "There is a problem with this card. (This memory card
> could not be formatted. (This memory card is write protected.))". I

Now this is a sure sign that something is awry! Do you have a memory
card for your eMate? test your eMate out with that card if you have
one. Then try the DWL-650 again. It should not saw any reference to a
memory card... maybe it says it doesn't recognize this card or
something to that effect... that would be normal if it were a 32bit
CardBus.

> get this same error if I install everything but not even the Atlan
> driver and plug in the card. The newton gives me no activation error
> for the package so it should load fine. The card has been tested with
> a laptop computer and it works.

If it works with a laptop doesn't mean it will work on youir Newton -
Especially if it's of the 32bit CardBus variety. A sure check to rule
the card out as a non-working is to check if it has a Copper Strip
along the connector. If if does then it will NOT because it is a 32bit
CardBus. Another way is to check the Revision of the card. If it is an
A-J then it should work as those cards are 16bit. And a third and
final way to check is the antennae shape which should by my
recollection be an 'ear' or 'crescent' shaped. Not the Square shaped
ones.

Then you would have to try again with the software installs -
Personally I would reinstall everything again in regular sequence -
NIE 2.0 with ethernet (and other packages you desire; ie. LocalTalk if
you need this) Then the WaveLAN drivers (I don't think we need to
install anything else) Now install your web app such as a web browser
or email client.

When you start the Newton it should boot up appropriately. Whent the
card is installed it should recognize the card immediately. I have the
correct card Revision J and it works flawlessly.

HTH

Can't help you with the Newtendo - don't use that though I have been
given an old GameBoy with old cartridges...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung