Re: [NTLK] Recommend A Works Set-up

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 09:46:23 PDT

Woody Smith wrote:

> Worksbetter and WriteStuff add many word processing features and fonts.
> Worksbetter offers free trial see Stand alone Software see <
> http://www.standalone.com/newtonos/index.shtml>
> See archives for comments on Writestuff
> <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=107590231929213&w=25 Sep 2004 12:46:52 -0400 (EDT)
> Handwriting works by SAS adds handwriting recognition to Works.
> Merlin and Wordsmith add dictionary and thesaurus.
> I generally prefer Writestuff but Worksbetter can import notes into
> Newtworks.
> I also like WordNewt, a large standalone dictionary.
> Woody

Those are good, but I also like Writestuff from Landware
(http://www.landware.com/newton). It has Merlin, Wordsmith, Pointpro (a
caret extension), fonts, style sheets, word counting, and lots of other
good tools in one package. Definitely worth the price. Just don't use
Works Better and the HRW that comes with Writestuff at the same time.
Or crashes will occur. Also I find Writestuff less buggy than Works
Better, however I keep it around frozen (in case I need it) because it
does have a couple of tools that Writestuff lacks.

-Dan