[NTLK] new Newton 120 user with newbie questions

From: Boris Herman (info_at_sight-sound.si)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 14:43:04 PDT

Hello

I've got a Newton 120 in mint condition and four 2300 mAh cells which
seem to last almost forever even when I'm using it every day (but they
must be charged in a standalone charger). However, I've got problems
with the 'using' part and therefor I ask this great list for help. I've
searched thru the FAQ but most of the stuff is about the 2000/2100 and
eMate and little is about earlier models like the 120. My problems are
as following.

Handwriting recognition (in Notes):
As much as I like the HWR and it works quite fine - it recognizes my
scribblings almost to the point of satisfaction but I have questions:
1. Once, I don't know how or where, I tapped my way into some sort of
preferences which allowed me to choose the way I write each letter
individually. I was able to select how I write a letter 'often',
'rarely' and 'never'. I got to, perhaps the letter I and, as I didn't
have much time, decided to continue some other time and now I can't
find the settings.
2. Can it be somehow told that I write capitals only? It irritates me
to see that instead of POTATO I get "poTATO"
3. Sometimes (very rarely), for no apparent reason, the newton leaves
my entry as is without recognizing it although the 'A' is selected (and
not inktext or something else). If I reconfirm the 'A' entry it
continues to recognize. It may have to do something with application
switching

Printing:
I presume that, when using a Din8 serial cable I am able to print on
certain printers. I have a HP LaserJet 4v printer that has a localtalk
port and an Epson Photo also with Din8 port, could I use any of those
two? If not, are the scarce options that are available (Personal
Laserwriter 300 and Stylewriters: I,II,1200,1500,2200,2400,2500). There
also is an option 'choose network printer' but I can't imagine what it
does since I use a serial connection - it doesn't do AppleTalk over it,
does it? How does one utilize such an option? What printers, other than
listed, are supported?

Desktop connection (I'm using serial):
I haven't been able to install NCU on my OS X machine since the
installer hangs (or at least doesn't move forward) so I was able to add
packages with NewTen. With NewtSync I was unsuccessful as it either
hangs during the sync (system error on Newton requiring restart) or the
port is reported as busy (until I reset it with the button near
batteries). I was able to install NCU on a Mac OS 9 machine and did a
complete backup but I wasn't able to export any data. I get a 'we have
run out of memory' error and the connection is dropped. Mind you, I
have two entries in 'Names', one in 'Dates' and four notes.

Application requests:
I have searched the unna archive but since there are no flags as to
which Newton the app is appropriate I am at loss as to try each and
every one of them. I have only X requests:
a) making notes with occasional scribbling (drawings). Scrollable
window, making larger notes possible, would be a big plus
b) tiny spreadsheet with +-*/ operators is enough
c) checklist
d) date reminders with todo list
e) calculator (possibly scientific) that can transfer the result to
Notes (at caret)
f) address book
g) tiny pop3 email via modem or cell modem (not a priority)

the c) would be possible with the builtin 'Notes' , f) with 'Names' and
d) with 'Dates' but Dates keeps telling me that there is not enough
memory available when I try showing the ToDo list

My setup is:
Newton 120 with 2 MB flash card. I have upgraded the ROM to the latest
516263-1. It shows 639K used and 722K free on internal and 573K used
and 1260K on flash card. System ram available 512K. Extras/All
icons/All stores show: Inbox,Outbox,Calls, Connection, Card,
Calculator, Formulas, Time zones, Clock, Styles, Newton Tour, HW
instructor, Serial 9600, LEKeybrd, Builtin3.0Notion, Business3Notion,
ConvergeNotion, Notion, Leisure3.0Notion, ListManager.Notion, Reg&Win,
Personal3.0Notion, Reference3.0Notion, Prefs, Owner Info, Setup,
Writing practice, Help. I have filed the Notion files on the flash card
thinking it might improve situation (but it does not)

Obviously it is running Newton OS 2.0

Please cc your replies directly as I'm on digest.

Regards,
Boris