Re: [NTLK] ATA support and partitioning cards?

From: Laurent Daudelin (Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 08:22:21 PDT

On 21/09/04 10:50, "keith" <keith_at_vortex.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Okay, before I go down this road without knowing enough, is it
>>> feasible - and sensible - to get a large-ish ATA-format memory card
>>> and use Paul's ATA driver (paying for it, of course! :-) to format it
>>> to more manageable chunks? Is partitioning it easy to do?
>
>> I use Paul's ATA driver and a SanDisk 32 meg card in my 2100. I have 4 8 meg
>> partitions on the card and it works like a charm. Easy and rock solid.
>
> Thanks Alan - that's a good start. I'm actually thinking of using a
> card which is a few hundred megabytes, and I was imagining that I'd
> partition it into multiple 32MB chunks. Has anyone got any experience
> of working with cards of this size, is 32MB a bit big for a single
> partition, and is this all pushing the envelope just that bit too
> much?
>
> How about the speed differences between flash memory and ATA-based
> memory that you mention? Can anybody quantify this at all?

I have one 32MB flash card in my 2100 and don't have any problem. Of course,
the card is less than half filled. You have to remember that a part of the
memory heap used when mounting a card comes from the applications that
reside on that card. Every application is kind of initialized and will use a
little bit of system heap. The more apps you have, the more memory it steals
from the system memory. If you have really a lot, then it could come to a
point where there isn't enough heap remaining to do anything useful. You
would have all applications you want but would be unable to do anything with
them...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA