Re: [NTLK] Newton Spanish text recognition.

From: Larry Yaeger (lsynewtal_at_beanblossom.in.us)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 15:14:12 PDT

If you write very carefully, the Print Recognizer
will recognize Spanish text, essentially on a
character-by-character basis. However, the
accuracy will not be as good as for a language
that has a substantial word-list, such as English
(or French or German on special models).

Since it looks like Paul has figured out how to
add new dictionaries to the system (see the link
Roman sent), that would be the best way to go.
You would need to find a large Spanish-language
word list (the more the better, with a low end
being around 20K - 25K words, the high end being
more like 70K words or even higher). And work
with Paul to get it converted into a dictionary
the Newton can use and get it installed on your
system.

You can also just add words to your individual
user's word list, though it might be a bit
tedious trying to enter thousands of words. This
is still a good way to add special words --
proper names, technical terms, slang, etc. --
that aren't likely to be in the regular
dictionaries.

- larryy