Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple G4 500 MHz 15'' Titanium PowerBook - fair price? Is it good?

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 20:42:41 PDT

I had one of those for a couple of years, and it was an excellent
machine (as well as beautiful to look at). It was even a little better
in some ways than the next series because it could drive an external
monitor as well as the internal display (not mirrored) and it was
actually faster than the 550MHz model due to a larger cache on the
processor. It would run full blast for a good 2 to 2.5 hours on a
battery charge, and the battery was still performing very well after
two years (but I kept it plugged in most of the time).

The only thing I was unhappy about was its really lousy WiFi reception
(with an internal Airport card) and in the end that's why I traded it
in for an iBook.

Re price: they still go for the equivalent of almost US$1,000 around
here (Toronto), but that's from a reputable store with a one-year
warranty, so it should be a lot less in a private sale; say $5-600.
But those prices might be meaningless where you are.

Re GarageBand: if my 800MHz iBook is any indication, you won't be able
to get more than a few tracks going due to the slow hard drive. And
even with a fast drive, GB is a real processor hog, so don't expect to
use many software instruments or effects at once. Also, IIRC, you'll
need a USB or other sound interface to record live instruments -- I
don't think it had a sound in port.

Michael