Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple G4 500 MHz 15'' Titanium PowerBook - fair price? Is it good?

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 00:46:38 PDT

Sometime around 21/9/04 (at 11:42 pm -0400) Michael Blazer said:

>I had one of those for a couple of years, and it was an excellent
>machine (as well as beautiful to look at). It was even a little better
>in some ways than the next series because it could drive an external
>monitor as well as the internal display (not mirrored)

All PowerBooks can do monitor 'spanning' as well as mirroring, it is
only the iBooks that can't. (And some of the white iBooks can have
that feature enabled with a bit of third-party software. The name
escapes me right now, but if anyone's interested then email me
off-list.)

>The only thing I was unhappy about was its really lousy WiFi reception
>(with an internal Airport card) and in the end that's why I traded it
>in for an iBook.

The antenna are built into the sides of the screen. They are those
short (3cm?) plastic strips set into the metal shell, and they're
definitely not as efficient as the ones in any of Apple's
plastic-bodied laptops. Nice idea having a metal body, but there is
the one drawback of wireless reception... :-)

      Keith Martin   Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
      MacUser Help   mailto:help_at_macuser.co.uk
      direct (work)  +44 (0)20 7907 6360
            mobile   0790 954 1365