[NTLK] Stowaway keys (was: Silent Keyboard)

From: Doug P (dougp_at_ispinn.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 13:24:22 PDT

>>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:35:13 -0700, Andrew Bloomgarden
>><macosx2001_at_mac.com> wrote:
>> What keys do not work on the Stowaway?

>Andrew,
>I suggest you wait for Daniel or maybe Doug to chime in. I had an
>email awhile back with the details but it's long gone now...

IIRC, basic english characters work. Some special characters work. What's really sweet is that there are eight keys (four keys really, shifted and unshifted) that correspond to icons on the button bar for Names, Dates, Search, Notes, etc. It's as if the keyboard was designed with the Newton in mind.

I wrote to Daniel a year ago. He was kind enough to provide me with the code that mapped the characters to the different keys (vanilla, shift, option, option-shift). The skeleton code for of all the Stowaway keys is in place--the thing is that most of the values are currently set to null.

It's tedious. What it's going to take is a team of two or more people to coordinate the detail work of editing and checking the individual key entries and setting the correct characters for each combination of modifier keys. It's probably a weekend project to get everything working.

I'm wondering if there's a way to make NTLK, post-WWNA startup history by finding a way to include the Euro symbol on the Newton and the Stowaway keyboard.

What a great message *that* would send!

Doug
Orlando FL