Re: [NTLK] Newton Killer - OS X? - Longish

From: Riccardo Mori (rick_at_poc.it)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 19:57:06 PDT

  J.Edward Boniakowski wrote:

>> it gives way to development, it's an
>> "open" machine. while i find other palm-like devices still a bit
>> "close" for my tastes.
>
> How is the Palm closed? There was a free, open sdk made by the
> community for Palm in the couple months between when Palm got the first
> device out the door and when they released the first SDK (which was
> also free). I know Handspring's sdk was based on the gnu toolchain and
> was free. How can you get more open than that? Everything you could
> ever want to know about Handspring (including how to build modules for
> it's 'springboard' slot) was freely published on the web.

J.Edward, i'm sorry if my statement sounded presumptuous and
inappropriate. i admit i'm not very much into other non-newton devices.
my impressions derive mainly from trying various devices, with the
courtesy of my friends. to clarify even more, with the words "palm-like
devices" i was not referring to Palm as a brand, but more as a form
factor. thank you for the information you provided about other
platforms :)

anyway, i'd be curious to see if any non-newton devices could live for
as long as the Newton is living after its official "death" seven years
ago...

kind regards,
Rick