[NTLK] NIE2/Extensions Resolution [Longish]

From: Josef Chessor (josefcub_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 09:20:22 PDT

Hi again!

     Well, I took Victor's advice to heart and embarked on the testing
with my spare 2000. Since I wanted to try everything, the first thing
I did was upgrade the 2000 to 710031 (It was running something
pre-260). Then, I restored my system image (from my original 2000,
now my 2100's) onto it. It worked well as it was. So I deleted the
NIE 1.1 packages yet again, wiped the Diplomat soups, and started
installing NIE 2.

     Internet Enabler, Internet Setup, and ISP Templates went fine.
Installation aborted on Newton Devices, however, with the 2000 (and
NCU) complaining they'd run out of memory. In fact, Avi's backdrop
registered 9k heap free! Okay, I figured it was time for a reboot. I
hit the Extras drawer, got the expected reboot dialog, and did so. It
rebooted in normal time.

     The shocker was when it rebooted into the setup program. I
fast-forwarded through it, and everything was gone. The restore I had
just completed had apparently been retroactively aborted (although it
still registered as 710031 thankfully). It was like it had performed
a brainwipe, only in record time. Naturally, not believing my eyes, I
did a hard reset and brainwipe on the 2000, and restored my system
again. This time, however, I removed HeapSaver in addition to NIE1.1
and rebooted preparatory to installing NIE2.

     I get through the first three packages again (Internet Enabler,
Internet Setup, ISP Templates) and start on Newton Devices. Holding
my breath, I watched and it installed successfully. I suppressed my
urge to celebrate, however, and finished the installation. Lo and
behold, Modem/Serial support AND the NIE Patch also installed
successfully. I closed the Dock applet and checked my heap
(accomplished by first tapping on it). 91k free. No low(sic) heap
problem, no sudden reboots. So I promptly rebooted the machine again.
 Everything came up, so I tapped Internet Setup, i, and About. 2.0
and the Modem/Serial/PPP/Slip driver showed as installed and working!

     So now I have a MessagePad 2000 with my restore image and NIE2
operating successfully. It was time for the real test. My 2100.
Rather than do the smart thing, I thought I'd duplicate what I'd just
done on the 2000. If it worked in one place, it ought to work in the
second, right?

     Well... It works! Apparently, in my situation at least, having
HeapSaver installed with NIE2 is not only a silly idea, it's also
fatal to NOS in both my MP2000, and my 2100. I'm still wary about the
possibility of damaged/dying Flash, so I've restructured my
applications and such to put as much of everything volatile as is
possible on my everpresent 16MB card. Hopefully, it's not dying
flash. I'm still going to invest in a motherboard replacement (or a
SER-001 for the apparently dongle-dead spare 2100) when I have the
money to do so, just in case.

     I'd like to thank Victor and LAG for replying with helpful advice
and suggestions. It took a lot less time than I'd thought, just
starting with the one thing. And next time, I'll try to keep my
problem a little more on-topic and perhaps have my inspirations BEFORE
I post on the list. I tend to ramble on when I'm ill, and could
probably have accomplished this whole thread in a lot less space in
people's mail clients if I'd stuck with just the facts. ;)

Take Care!
Josef

--
"I laugh because I dare not cry.  This is a crazy world and the only
way to enjoy it is to treat it as a joke."