[NTLK] So many databases...

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 16:50:06 PDT

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out which database program is best suited for
something I want to do. So far, I've found the following:

* Notion
* EBASE
* FilePad
* Leverage

(did I miss any?)

I've tested out all of those except Leverage; a $139 relational database
is rather overkill for what I want to do :-)

So, what I'm attempting: A list with many fields (easily 30), a variety
of which I may want to search or sort on (call it a half-dozen), but
just one list/table (hence no need for a relational database). I will
probably want to display a few key fields from all items (or the
aforementioned search result subset) in a list, or all fields, one item
at a time.

Based on that, any thoughts about which one(s) I should be using?

My impressions from trying to set up my list/database in the three I've
tested are:

* Notion: Couldn't figure out how to make my own list type, but based on
  what I saw of the built in list types, it displays all fields in the
  list all at once. Also doesn't fill up the screen on my 2100 - it
  leaves a strip on the side showing the backdrop. Maybe I'm missing
  something here, or maybe I'm trying to make lists more complex than it
  was designed for. It looks super-useful for lists with only a few
  fields though.

* EBASE: Seemed cool, until I noticed that I couldn't re-order fields
  that I had entered; they were displayed in the order entered, one per
  line. Not so good if I think of a field that I want to add near the
  top, after the fact... Also lets you have multi-line fields (ie,
  comments) but you have to write enough to overflow the one line it
  gives you to get the second one, and the same to get the third line,
  and so on... Not really handy for writing notes on the go. No
  checkboxes that I could see - not a showstopper, but handy.

* FilePad: Lots of types of data, loads of flexibility in display
  layout (the multi-page thing is nice), but I haven't been able to
  figure out how the navigation works or how to adjust what shows up in
  the overview mode ("Browser"). That's a biggie for me - otherwise I'd
  just use notepad in checklist mode or something. Again, maybe I'm
  missing something. I also found it frustrating that I had to hit a
  "save" button instead of just closing a data entry slip like I'm used
  to. Had to re-enter quite a few things because of that. (It's funny,
  saving is a reflex on a desktop but completely foreign on a Newton...)

So, is there something I've missed/misunderstood about one of the above
that makes it perfect for what I'm trying to do? (Really, FilePad seems
like it should be perfect except that I can't figure out how to navigate
the data...)

Is there another database program for the newt not in my list that can
handle what I'm trying to do?

Or should I revise some of my requirements a bit so I can still collect
all the data I want but fit better with one of the database programs?

Or am I just out of luck?

Thanks,
  -Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project