[NTLK] Newton Comm advice (update) v 1.1

From: JP (spacebar0_at_fastmail.fm)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 22:26:05 PST

Hi all

Just wanted to catch you up on the further adventures of a NewtBee

Due to certain technical difficuties to road has become slightly more
zig-zag.
]
Purchase is pending. Using land mail/paper check system. (You remember
those, right?)

Had to downgrade to MP 2k rather than the 2100. My sense is that the
difference between the models is RAM. The 2k is 4mb (a CF can add to 2k
later, though); while the 2100 is 8mb. Is this accurate?

Also decided to try this 'without a net' for the time being (in the
sense used for trapeze artists). This Newton be able to get packages
without the infamous 'serial/dongle' combo.

I will rely on the IrDA 'Newtoy' to intall at least one package to the
Newt. The priority package will be the drivers for the Ethernet pcmcia
that will be shipped. The ethernet can serve both the Newt and the PB
1400c (which has no ethernet at this time; it might prove valuable at
some moment -- and my searches have not found ethernet/pcmcia.)

I'm not sure whicn will happen first..Tiger announced or the arrival of
my Newton. Once it does, the plan will be:
 to startup the Wallstreet from the OS 9.2.2 partition
run IrDA.
Connect w/Newton (IrDA comm <IS > native to Newt OS 2.0, or am I
misinformed?)
Install ethernet driver on Newt (the card is 3Com; not sure what model;
but am assured it will work)
Use the ethernet device to acquire whatever other packages I might
need/want installed.

Should be able to network the Wallstreet, PB 1400c and Newt via;

DSL (wireless) router/modem.

The 2 PB's have WiFi cards ordered. May arrive by (this time next week?)
So, we assume they are happily surfing/sharing...
If all the details above are successfully negotiated, then the Newt can
join in the fun by;
more IrDA connections as outlined above
ethernet to rear of Wallstreet (sounds like a book title...;)
ethernet direct to 1 of 4 ports on router/modem.

the 2 PB's go wireless and it's the

"Rule of Three"

Comments/Crit/Advice?

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jerome.vernet/newton.htm

Oh, the past posts had inquiries about good webmail. The service I use
is quite good. (Fastmail.fm) Think they're DownUnder...

Jack

--
  JP
  spacebar0_at_fastmail.fm