Re: [NTLK] Anyone Making Public WiFi Work?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 08:37:10 PST

David Deranian wrote:
> As a loyal Newton user that has spent a considerable amount of time on
> the road, I find it hard to believe that this group hasn't found a way
> to make the Newton work with "pay-per-use" WiFi Service like T-Mobile's
> Hotspots at Starbucks. Maybe not for all the folks on this list, but
*snip*

Well this topic has come up many times before. The problem is
"pay-per-use" Wi-fi usually requires you to log in via a HTTPS (aka
secure connection) with a password and such that is given when you pay
for it. Since the Newton can't do HTTPS we are stuck. It has been
talked about, but the general consensus is that it is not possible. As
I understand it, this would involve rewriting the NIE, which would be a
big job and only a very few people on this list could even attempt it.
And those few people are currently working on other "big" Newt projects.

-Dan