Re: [NTLK] External Power Packs for Newtons

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 11:52:19 PDT

> Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:30:08 -0500
> From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] External Power Packs for Newtons
>
> Not sure if this was discussed before or if anyone has a solution yet
> regarding an External Power Packs for Newtons other than the Booster
> Pack that was designed for the OMP/MP100 wich used AAA batteries.

The Battery Booster Pack uses 8 x AA cells and was originally designed
for the AAA Newtons.

> I also recall there were packs that were used with the MP100 and the
> MP1x0 series externally that fit in the Leather Communications Case
> that had a connector to plug directly into your Newton.

That's what the Booster Pack does. Plug into Newton's DC-in, run off
the Batt Pack (remove internal cells) or recharge internal cells (leave
'em inside). Allows for continuous running a Newton w/o opening it,
shutting it down or whatever - e.g. recharge internal cells, and then
take the 8 AAs to be recharged. Something like this.

You can put any kind of cells into the Booster - alkalines,
rechargeables, etc.

> I have a decent suggestion for one but wanted to know if anyone on the
> list has tried in the past or present to use something to power their
> Newton other than the stock rechargeable, booster or specialized pack
> that fit in the case I mentioned above.

The coolest imaginable product would allow DC-Out and USB power
supplies (like this neat 4 x AA pack:
http://www.gpscity.com/item-gps-city-usb-power-pack/batusbpower.htm),
maybe throw in Firewire power-out while we're at it. Oh, and make sure
you can charge the eight cells INSIDE the box w/o removing them or
unplugging the Newton... Add cold fusion w/o radiation, too... And a
Flux-Compensator...

I have an original Booster Pack incl. box and manual. I'll type part of
the text of the manual to the Booser Wiki-page later today. I'm willing
to loan the Booster to Frank Gruendel, if this would be considered in
any way helpful for the progress on Newtonia. -- Sonny, talk to Frank
if there's something he could do for you. Frank, get back to me if
interested. Thanks.

Citizen 'Kasko

P.S.: Still very much [WTB] lid for 2x00 and battery holder. Any
reasonable offer, blahblahblah.