Re: [NTLK] [OT] Simputer not selling well

From: Clayton Mitchell (claytonmitchell_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 14:13:40 PDT

This talks abut a Nicholas Negroponte project. If any of you are
wondering who he is, he is one of my heros for inspiring me to become
truly digital. His book "Being Digital"
http://tinylink.com/?CHXeAQXccC sparked my imagination as to the
possibilities of the real digital lifestyle, beyond those cyberpunk
novels of Gibson, Sterling et. all, of the 80's. It is a bit dated but
still a good read.

Here is the official link to the $100 laptop project
http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

I hope this project works out, it is a really cool idea.

On Apr 5, 2005, at 7:59 AM, Doug wrote:

> This OT link from cnn.com
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3w6gm
>
> makes a comment on the Simputer, mentioned recently.
>
> Here's the relevant paragraph:
>
> Ambitious projects to bridge the digital divide in the developing
> world at low cost have had a shaky track record. Perhaps the best
> example is the Simputer, a $220 handheld device developed by Indian
> scientists in 2001 that only last year became available and isn't
> selling well.
>
> Doug Parker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Clayton Mitchell