Re: [NTLK] Help with GPS MAP process (VERY,VERY LONG POST)

From: Edward Johnson (radar9999_at_aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 23:35:42 PDT

Joannes, Victor,
Dr Mike Briley, Newton Mapper extraordinaire, has pointed out that My
map points were not precise enough. He looked up the points I gave in
my earlier posts and gave me more precise coordinates, down to the
hundredths of a second. He also corrected a point that was off by quite
a bit according to my description. These new points worked fine and the
NaN's went away. Just for grins I reduced the precision from hundredths
to tenths of a second and the process worked out fine as well.

You will see a post I sent earlier today that discusses my problem with
Maptech. Does anyone have a reliable online source for free,
downloadable topographic, orthographic and other maps that will allow a
user to get high precision lat/long coordinates, and that you can get a
recreate-able Jpeg copy out of? Describe how you do it, please. Let's
throw some brain power at this subject. I am about 1/2 done with Wiki
How To guide for making topographic map containers. As soon as I can
get the basic process correct I will upload my detailed recipe'. I am
hoping that the wiki will be updated with other recipe's once everyone
else gets started on this.

Now, about
> 1) are you sure that your coordinates are based on the so called WGS84
> system?
Yes. They are USGS standard WGS84 maps.

> 2) are you sure that your coordinates are in DECIMAL degrees?
> decimal degree = degree + (minutes + (second/60)/60)

AND
> Stop! You have to use decimal degrees as the input to the RECT
> programs.
> There are lots of websites that have tools to convert from DMS to
> decimal.
> Google for 'DMS to decimal degrees convert'.

Decimal degrees not required, although it is valid option. The
Documentation is clear that Decimal Degrees, Degrees & Minutes, and
Degrees-Minutes-Seconds are all recognized by the Calibration Generator
Applications Rect 1, Rect 2, & Cone.
Just use enough precision, and be very precise when choosing landmarks
to calibrate from ie if you are choosing an intersection, choose a
particular corner of that intersection, zoom in if you can.

Here is a snip of a successful calibration factor run just using tenths
of a second...
snip>>>
* *
* Coefficient Calculator for Rectangular Projection Type Maps *
* (working with freely selected Calibration Points) *
* V 1.5.1, for use with GPS Map *
* Copyright 1995-98 G. Staudenmaier, Germany *
* (Results are also stored to Clipboard) *
* *

Latitude : 34 25 32.7
Longitude : -119 17 20.4
  ->X: 91
  ->Y: 387
Latitude : 34 25 46.6
Longitude : -119 16 25.9
  ->X: 454
  ->Y: 276
Latitude : 34 26 16.5
Longitude : -119 17 20.6
  ->X: 90
  ->Y: 29

(Exit Loops by entering E<CR>)

*** Test Coefficients: Geo -> Pixel ***
Latitude : 34 25 50.0
Longitude : -119 16 56.0
X = 254
Y = 247

Latitude : e

*** Test Coefficients: Pixel -> Geo ***
X: e

Result:
=======

                       C_X : [ 2.8586323223E+06,
2.3971027834E+04, 2.7264967279E+01],
                       C_Y : [ 1.0338824882E+06,
-2.9423870655E+04, 1.7232664402E+02],
                       C_Long : [-1.1929281118E+02,
4.1716748463E-05, 3.8655885732E-08],
                       C_Lat : [ 3.4438880265E+01,
-3.3985784885E-05, 2.4432228330E-07],
                       A : -0.1,
<<<Snip

Now when I run the BUILD PACKAGE I still get an error that it cannot
open the resource file Ojai1 located in yupity yup directory.
> Error in Map_Main.t, Map_Main.afterScript, line 22:
> Couldn't open resource file (-43): "Macintosh
> HD:Users:edwardjohnson:Documents:NewtonStuff:NewtonDev:Ojai1:
> Ojai_1.rsrc"
  But I do get an invalid package built when it is done, which is
farther than I was getting before. Pkg is invalid in that it is only
8KB rather than something that would include the contents of a valid
map source, in this case the Ojai1 map resource created with Graphic
Converter 4.6.
Now my problem must be that;
A I have not created a proper resource in Graphic Converter, or

B I am calling it out wrong in the afterScript.

There were some good mentions earlier about possible problems with the
pathname so I moved the the entire folder into the newton development
folder, but that did not seen to be it.

Personally I lean toward A, but am willing to admit that B is a serious
possibility.

Here is a snip of the callout script for B;

> rf := OpenResFileX (Home & "Ojai_1.rsrc");
> BMAP_1 := MakePixFamily (NIL,NIL,"Ojai1");
> CloseResFileX (rf);
You can find info on my how I created the resources mentioned in A in
earlier posts. I can also do screen shots for 1 to 1 emails. Pictures
are worth thousands of words, but NTLK is text only.

Ed Johnson

A Smart man learns from his mistakes. A Wise man learns from other
peoples mistakes. Be Wise!
On Apr 11, 2005, at 6:31 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> From: "Johannes Wolf" <mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Help with GPS MAP process (VERY,VERY LONG POST)
> Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:05:26 +0200
>
> OKAY,
>
> here are a few thoughts about your problem:
>
> 1) are you sure that your coordinates are based on the so called WGS84
> system?
> In case they are not, they have to be re-calculated according to the
> scale,
> otherwise you may get an error of more than 100m.
>
> 2) are you sure that your coordinates are in DECIMAL degrees?
> decimal degree = degree + (minutes + (second/60)/60)
>
> Cheers
> Johannes

AND

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:17:07 -0400
From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Help with GPS MAP process (VERY,VERY LONG POST)

Edward Johnson wrote:
> I worked on several iterations of
> the calibration correction factor problems and cannot get rid of the
> NAN's. I will illuminate;
> RAW DATA to be input into 'RECT 2 application
> Calibration Point 3 (Upper Lft ref pt) --La Luna Dr & Unk dead end road
> Lat 34 26 17 (North)
> Long -119 17 17 (West)

Stop! You have to use decimal degrees as the input to the RECT
programs.
There are lots of websites that have tools to convert from DMS to
decimal.
Google for 'DMS to decimal degrees convert'.

You also need very accurate points. Suggest you use some online
mapping tool
that will give you accurate lon/lats based on a point.

Will the last person to leave the platform please turn off the
backlight?