Re: [NTLK] Help with GPS MAP process (VERY,VERY LONG POST)

From: Michael Briley (mike_at_maxwell.phys.uwosh.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 07:07:09 PDT

Hi Ed (and everyone else!),

To answer some questions:

> What website are you using for maps? Are they
> free or are you paying a subscription?

I use the Route 66 USA 2004 application for both maps and
coordinates. They've got it a amazon.com for $35 and it includes
street level maps (plus coordinates) for the entire US and most of
Canada. I think that's a bargain for 6.5 million streets! There's a
version for Western Europe too.

I can also stick my GPS card into the Powerbook and use it directly
with Route 66.

Code:
> rf := OpenResFileX (Home & "Ojai_1.rsrc");
> BMAP_1 := MakePixFamily (NIL,NIL,"Ojai1");
> CloseResFileX (rf);

Error:
> Error in Map_Main.t, Map_Main.afterScript, line 22:
> Couldn't open resource file (-43): "Macintosh
> HD:Users:edwardjohnson:Documents:NewtonStuff:NewtonDev:Ojai1:
> Ojai_1.rsrc"

NTK is expecting your map file with the resource fork to be named
"Ojai_1.rsrc" and the resource (0) to be named "Ojai1", all in the
same directory as the NTK Map source. Given your earlier posts, I'm
presuming this is indeed the case, but it's worth checking. I too use
the same technique as Johannes (putting everything in the same
directory).

I use an older version of Photoshop for making my resource files. I
actually keep a beat up 9500 lying around for this and other mostly
Newton things that like serial ports and OS 9. But I think I remember
something about Graphic Converter giving the resource the same name
as the file, so perhaps it is in there as "Ojai_1", not "Ojai1". A
way to check this would be to find an old copy of ResEdit (ah, the
memories!) and use it to open the map resource file. It will tell you
exactly what it is labeled (and give you another chance to see what
it looks like). I'm also not sure about your using RLE compression in
the Resource - but again, I just don't know.

Finally be sure the PICT resource is 4-bit and not 8. To be honest, I
tried Graphic Converter when I first started all this, but never got
a map that worked from it (well, I did switch to Photoshop without
giving it much of a chance though).

I hope this helps some...

Cheers,
-Mike

P.S.: Once you get down with this, you should try making tiled maps!
It's very much worth the extra effort. I've made some huge ones now
(+4Mb) and the Newton is way more responsive using them vs.
monolithic single maps.