Re: [NTLK] Cosmetic Mods for Newtons

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 21:47:17 PDT

        You're both close, but I didn't save the links at the time so I can't
send you to a site on the subject: you're remembering a demonstration
that the technology used in the Freestyle wind-up shortwave radios
manufactured in Africa could be adapted to run a eMate--Apple killed
the eMate shortly after that so the Freestyle people let it drop.
Having had a Freestyle that was modified so a LED flashlight could run
off of it as well as the radio, I can tell you the Freestyle pulled in
signals O.K. (but all the Sony ICF 2010's out there sleep soundly
tonight, if you know what I mean), and the wind-up generator worked
well to run the shortwave by itself but using the light meant you had
to crank it up twice as often. If someone wants to donate an eMate to
the cause I could probably duplicate the system pretty fast...

On Apr 14, 2005, at 8:50 PM, James Elliott wrote:

> I think so. Africa sounds right. I remember saving a copy on my old
> computer, but it's in Ohio and I am in Oklahoma.
>
> -James
>
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:00:50,onny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> James,
>>
>> Was it the one discussing third world countries where they would power
>> laptops with a manual charging crank systems (I think I saw two
>> articles - one related to laptops recently and the other that may have
>> been a bit older about the Newton eMate 300 (in Africa?)... right?

Bruce E. Durocher II
bedii_at_qwest.net