Re: [NTLK] MP2K1 w/Ser01 Card - case cracked

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 06:35:27 PDT

On 4/14/05, Arnold <aderoy_at_mnsi.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have a good method to fix, or atleast stop a crack
> in the bottom case?

I recall Frank suggesting something to me, but for the life of me I
can't remember what he suggested. Frank, help! I haven't needed to do
this type of repair yet, but my first thoughts would be modeling glue
or epoxy.

> Seems the screw holding the SER01 card inplace has finally punched thru t=
he back.
> Dang. Should not have left the screw with shoulder on the card. Did not s=
eem to
> make a bump in the case, guess over time something had to give... plastic=
 or metal...=20
> metal won.

Well wasn't there a mention on list that we needed to shave something
or other to allow the SER-001 to fit properly?

Since you've opened it up maybe you can take some photos of your
installation for us (or just me) to see if you've got the time. A
picture of the original installation of the SER-001 and the front and
back of the Back Case. It will truly provide good insight into
installs for the list if anyone is interested since yours did
experience an issue after a year.

On question I would ask would be does your Newton get stored in any
place bag, pocket backpack ...etc. where it may get crushed or pressed
upon which could cause undue stress on the case where the screw and
case meet? This may be a possible matter to look into also when
repairing the case... contact me off-list any ways and I'll see if
there is anything I can do to help you out...

God bless
--=20
Sonny Hung
The Hung Family