[NTLK] Newton IM Question

From: Sean Cross (smcross_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 23:54:50 PDT

From what I can tell, the best solution to Instant Messaging on the
Newton right now is Newton IM connected to a Jabber account with
various transports to other IM services. I think that solution is
simple, elegant, and beautiful, and I currently have an account set up
using this system.

However, it doesn't seem to be very reliable. It works wonderfully
for a few messages (where "few" is defined as anywhere between 0 and
about 20), before it goes into a "write only" mode: I can write
messages, and they will get sent, but I cannot receive messages. If I
disconnect and then reconnect, all of the messages I missed show up.

Sometimes, I can get around this limitation by closing the current
chat window and reopening it, but not always.

It sounds like it /might/ be a server problem, because of how I can
send messages but not receive them, however it might be that the
Newton has just locked up and has stopped receiving data. The server
I'm using is jabber.palomine.net. Has anyone else been able to use
this server successfully?