Re: [NTLK] Free your GPS

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 05:48:48 PDT

First thanks to all of you for sending your appreciations on my little
work,
your words let me make things better

  - Premise:
Before the NewtNAV setting up a GPS station with your MessagePad was a
bit elaborate
[as you could see on the link:
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/HikingNewtonHardware]
Now you just connect your GPS to the MP2k via NewtNAV to have your
receiver both powered and data transmit ready.

As i could make a NewtNAV for MP1x0 too, although it will have a direct
data connection, it would have a splitted usb connector for taking the
power from an external usb battery-pack. If you will want one, i will
be more than happy to make it for you, but please first read the notes
about the making of it far below.

  - Some notes about NetwNAV:
Every GPS producer on the market mind its own commercial interests,
this is why they realize a proprietary pin-out for every GPS you will
ever see. So although a GPS plug is usually made on a PS/2 connector,
sometimes the various receivers will differ first for the gender, then
the pin-out will usually NOT coincide.

The first NewtNAV prototype has been made for a Polstar GPS, which end
with a MALE plug. Instead when i have received the AQ-300 (thanks again
to D. Vollkasko) i have found that this receiver has the cable ending
on a FEMALE receptacle with a completely different pin-out too....i had
to make just a new one NewtNAV.

Although i cannot make a universally compatible NewtNAV, i could make a
NewtNAV for each GPS on the market.

So if you want a NewtNAV for your specific GPS receiver, just take
contact with me privately and i will make one for you at cost. This way
it will need that some "pioneers" will ship their own GPS receivers to
me first and have a new NewtNAV packaged in the returning GPS box.
Please notice that i will agree to pay myself the returning shipment
cost.
[As 'Kasko is been the first "pioneer" on that, he will receive his
NewtNAV in a few days.
I just hope he will share with us his experience on using it]

Then when/if i will have the chance to make a NewtNAV for each GPS
which (as mentioned above, the gentle "pioneers") you will be able to
ship to me, i will then be able to start selling the NewtNAV
alone....if there will remain someone still interested on it....

  - Some notes about the AQ-300 GPS receiver/antenna:
The AQ-300 is a powerful although low-cost GPS receiver (on eBay it
sometimes sell at less than $40,00). It works on NMEA protocol, so its
fully compatible with GPSmap. I tested it with GPSmap Lite (available
on Unna archives) and i tracked 5 satellites in less than a minute on a
open area [instead on the web (scary) video you can see my MP2k power
and recognize the GPS at home with zero tracking under ancient 35"
walls]

A quick note to the NewtWikiPedia,
which is a powerful information resource about the GPS (and about all
the available Newton-related arguments too):
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/HowToNavigateWithYourNewton

Thanks again for your interest, i really appreciate that.

Adriano Angelillis

P.S.:
SORRY again and again for using my mobile for the web photos