[NTLK] NMP2k n00b (E/Net 2.0.2)

From: JP (spacebar0_at_fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 05:32:11 PDT

Hi folks;

>So how about that other book I'd called a challenge for?=20

Stll have both PDF's sitting on my desktop unread/unbooked.

>It's Eric von=A0=A0
>Hippel's brilliant "Democratizing Innovation" (don't take my word for=A0=
=A0
>it -- boingboing.net recommended it) and still available at=A0=A0
>http://web.mit.edu/evhippel/www/books.htm .
>C'mon guy 'n' gals, you got the stuff it takes to do this -- and if you=A0=
=A0
>don't have it, you can get it at UNNA, at the Wiki and any other=A0=A0
>questions and support through NTLK.

Well, a small technical detail...Ethernet. Still not connecting. Went
w/auto in DHCP. Now get intermittent light on PORT. This is progress.
Still won't see 'Mac OS computer'. Error claims not all info filled in.
Going to nuke the 7 items (finally found the '3Com driver' mentioned as
step 7...though it seems to just add a few choices for cards...).
Download fresh copies. Use the 'brill' IR utility to reinstall. Sing
'Oooh, eeeh, oooh, aahh, ahhh, ting-tang walla-walla bing-bang' while
standing on head/juggling/riding a unicycle. See what happens.

Seriously, other than this bloody quagmire of no ethernet, it's a
marvel. Have installed Works w/Draw and HWR. Eudora (maybe that would
'kickstart' connection. Nope, but it does try to connect) Couple toys;
Macintalk/speech/Hal. Flagman/Semaphore. Jupiters Moons. SunUp/Down.
Crypto Glossary. Sky Guide. Sherlock Holmes Black Peter (don't remember
that one, but downloaded cuz it's also the name of a Grateful Dead
song...also see below)

>"I'd love to see a newbie tackle this one, try her or his mettle with=A0=
=A0
>Newton
>Press or Bookmaker/NTK (detailed instructions: See Dan's tutorial at=A0=A0
>UNNA).
>Why not give something back to the community -- anybody can make Newton
>ebooks, even clumsy-fingers and non-coders. Heck, even complete morons=A0=
=A0
>can,

I resemble that remark...

>else I'd have *nevah* gotten *any* newtbook out there... Sure ain't=A0=A0
>rocket
>science. So, hey n00bs, where ya at?! ;=3D]

"

Stuck in 'NEtherland'...

I was inspired/impressed with the link awhile back where the woman wrote
a book on the Newt. Chapter a day. Want to try same thing.
For some reason downloading NewtonPress, I think. Machine hangs on
Stuffit/DiskCopy. Can't handle it for some reason.

Oh, would NBU work 'better' than NCU. ie more relialble connection?

I've also put 'Sloup' on the Newt. Seems there's a way to IR via
AppleWorks Comm (I have ClarisWorks 4.0 on both MainStreet and 1400c.
Need some version of MacPak 2. Anyone know the equivalent Palm Desktop
version?

Folks have their wonts. Some like to use a portable keyboard. I like the
pen.=20
BUT I just want another alternative to the 'dongle'. I know it's not
rational, but there it is. I'd consider using CF cards for implementing
a 'SneakerNet' solution. (Both PB's handle pcmcia cards)

>Just remember: "A fool not her who failed, but him who never tried."
Excerpt from Terrapin Station
words by Robert Hunter
---------------
"While the storyteller speaks
a door within the fire creaks
suddenly flies open=20
and a girl is standing there

Eyes alight with glowing hair
all that fancy paints as fair
she takes her fan and throws it
in the lion's den

"Which of you to gain me, tell
will risk uncertain pains of Hell?
I will not forgive you
if you will not take the chance"

The sailor gave at least a try
the soldier being much too wise
strategy was his strength
and not disaster

The sailor coming out again
the lady fairly lept at him
that's how it stands today
you decide if he was wise"
------------------

Also: "Don't ask what your Newton can do for you, ask what you can do=A0=A0
for
your Newton!"
-----------
Ich bin ein Newtoner! (He mangled it; so can I)=20
>Finally: "E =3D mc2"

I've decided (before NewTimes) that the most 'important/significant'
statement in that particular equation, strictly phillosically speaking,
I ain't no physicist, is the 'equals' sign. FWIW.

>...and now git to it!
RealSoonNow

>Cordially yours,

>DJ Vollkasko