Re: [NTLK] [OT] we may see an apple phone afterall

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 12:57:00 PDT

Please note, this is labled as [OT]
If you don't want to read an OT email, move along,
otherwise feel free to read my <rant> below!

I guess I'm showing my age when I say I grew up on AOR
radio stations. Back then (another age identifying
statement) you picked up a Boston or a Styx (age)
album (age) you sat in your room (age), put on your
headphones (age) and listened to the entire record
(age) front to back (Some were listened to so much,
the clicks and pops (age) became a part of the actual
song! Singing the song in the shower, one invariably
paused to emit the necessary needle (age) pops sounds
that became as much of the music as that which the
artist intended as music!
I think it's sad that today's artists (age) can get
away with producing an entire album and only create
maybe one or, if they're lucky, two hits!
I read somwehere that there is an algorythm that is
based on the top-40 songs of all time and that this
algorythm can mathematically listen to a song and
accuratly place where in the chart this song will
place...so some artists are reverse engineering this
algorythm such that they create songs that the
algorythm will place the highest! No talent or skill
needed, just plug in the necessary riffs and you have
a top 40 song! That's why all of today's (age) music
all sounds the same.
I grew up on the supergroups (age) of Journey, Styx,
Boston, Foreigner and Kansas (age). And I recently
discovered GOA and now can't get enough of Infected
Mushroom, Halucinogen, Boards of Canada and
Shpongle...I listen to this all day and have to say,
it's nice to get away from the top 40 formula of music
manufacturing (that's what it really is, today's music
(age) is nothing more than an assembly line for the
masses!)
Sorry for the rant.
Ed
web/gadget guru