Re: [NTLK] NotePhone followup

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 13:21:31 PDT

Frank,
Something you said made me think of the mundane.
"> > While the Notephone warms up (with the receiver
> > on-hook), the voltage slowy increases."

You know what this sounds like? It sounds like a
capacitor! Yeah, I know...low tech, but if you think
about it, silicon rarely dies on it's own, but
capacitors definatly have a limited life span if they
lead a life of constant cycling, especially capacitors
of a large enough value...
I'ld look for a large electrolytic capacitor, coupled
with some diodes near the power section (after the
MOVs) if it's a bad capacitor.
Ed
web/gadget guru

<snip>

> > From: "Frank Gruendel" <fg2_at_pda-soft.de>
> > Subject: [NTLK] NotePhone followup
> > Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:38:04 +0200
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have again spent some time on nailing down this
> > bloody NotePhone defect which manifests itself in
> > the NotePhone's being unable to hang up.
<snip>

> > With no phone connected at all, the
> > voltage across a and b was 20 volt. Connecting the
> > phone reduced this voltage to about 10 volt. So my
> > theory is correct. While the NotePhone shows the
> > defect, the voltage in the range reserved for
> > the receiver being off-hook.
> >
> > While the Notephone warms up (with the receiver
> > on-hook), the voltage slowy increases.
> > Once it has reached 20 volt, lo and
> > behold, the phone company notices that the
> receiver
> > is on-hook and cuts the connection.
> >
> > The question now is WHY the voltage across a and b
> > is too low for as long as the NotePhone shows this
> > defect. So far I have no idea, but it is food for
> > thought and further evaluation.
<snip>

> > In a nutshell, the challenge is "Find the
> component
> > that has become temperature-dependant due to old
> > age". Once you tell me which component this is, a
> > free 2100 or eMate will be on its way to you,
> generously
> > padded with the finest chocolate available in
> > Germany. Good luck. Might help to get hold of one
> of the
> > old Siemens technicians...

I LOVE German chocolate...my parents came back earlier
this year from a visit with relatives in Germany and
almost one whole suitcase was full of Ritter Sport
chocolates (yeah, I know, they're not the best German
Chocolate, but I love the variety and it beats
Hershey's anyday!)
They brought back 12 bars for each of us (me, my
sister, my wife and my sister's boyfriend) plus a
couple dozen that I know they stashed away! OH! That
and German Pretzels fresh that morning from the
neighborhood bakery....man oh man! nothing like a
solid German breakfast with fresh bread from the
bakery and meats and cheese (they live in a small
village in Plochingen, so they still get fresh produce
delivered several times a week! from people pushing
carts or riding trikes)
I gotta stop now, I may short out my keyboard if I
don't.

> > Any ideas are more than welcome
> >
> > Frank
> >
> > -- Newton software and hardware at
> http://www.pda-soft.de

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial