Re: [NTLK] Free your GPS

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 18:01:00 PDT

On Wednesday, April 20, 2005, at 06:17 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net=20
wrote:

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Free your GPS
>
> Brian wrote:
>> This is true re: space for maps, 1x0 users would prefer serial
>> connection. I've used GPSLite on my 130 with a external serial port
>> GPS; it does work, it's not fast... Teletype might be better on the
>> slower units but I've not done that test.
>
> In my experience TeleType is pickier on the NMEA sentences it=20
> requires... I
> had tried to use it with my PCMCIA GPS card, and though it was=20
> connected
> (using TeleTypeHack) and I could see sentences coming through in the=20=

> debug
> screen, no data was shown in the main screens...

That's interesting.

I'd only tried Teletype with the Haicom card; I never ran it with the=20
external GPS I borrowed to play with GPSLite (erm, test for=20
functionality).

Which PCMCIA card do you have=10?

IIRC, some cards, you can config the card a little bit to tweak the=20
output (likely using a supported laptop).

-Brian