[NTLK] VideoPhone software questions - some answered, some not...

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 06:13:46 PDT

April 21, 2005

Hello Everybody,

Investigating the possibilities of the 'VideoPhone' Newton application is my latest pet project.
I took another look at the application's 'interface'. Users of this application have four choices as to how they would like to connect to another Newton, as well as a choice as to what connection speed to use. Obviously, these settings have to match up on each Newton, or the connection will fail.

I had pretty good success in using the IrDA connection, so I thought I would try something else. I took a serial connector patch cord, stuck a dongle on one end, and connected my MP 2100 to an eMate. Fired both of the Newts up, opened the app in each, and adjusted the connection settings to match. Worked like a charm! At the fastest communications setting, writing on the workspace appears almost instantaneously on the workspace of the other Newton. Pretty nice.

The program has some weaknesses that I can see, such as lack of scrolling, pen input width, etc. I'll try to document all of this the best that I can in a short eBook and a text file.

Now, I DO have questions for the professionals out there. The 'VideoPhone' application also has an option to connect via the PCMCIA. I'm curious as to how one would connect via the PCMCIA slot. Any thoughts? Ethernet, perhaps?

More importantly, how would users connect with the modem option? There is a place to enter a telephone number, but no option for selecting a particular ISP. Bear in mind, this product was developed back in 1996. I'm guessing that the developr intended users to dial into a common free server somewhere, through which multiple Newton users could intercommunicate with this application. Wouldn't THAT be cool? Imagine everybody logging into such a server and writing little doodles and sending random thoughts and notes, all of which would be nearly instantly viewed on each Newton / VideoPhone user's screen? I think that would be pretty neat. With such an option, it sees that X-Box gamers would not have too much over Newton users, as 'Newtwork' gaming would be the next logical step. Can you imagine?

Other possibilities include re-writing the software code to permit pen input communications from the Newton into specific art drawing programs on a desktop computer. I think that would be a pretty important evolutionary step, if it could be achieved.

If anybody can explain the modem option of 'VideoPhone' so that I can understand it better, please respond. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Warmest regards,

Matt the K.