Re: [NTLK] Playing Around with Book-Making Function in Newtscape [long posting]

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 10:26:25 PDT

mkow1234_at_aol.com wrote:
> I started writing out a simple 'Read Me' file for the 'VideoPhone'
> application and saved the output as HTML. Then, I tried to open
> 'Newtscape'. Oops! Have to close 'Notes' first, open 'Newtscape', and
> then re-open 'Notes'. No problemo.

It's not like you 'save' the note in HTML. You just write HTML tags into the
note, that's it. Newt's Cape will recognize any note that begins with <HTML>.
  cf:

http://home.comcast.net/~saweyer/newton/newtscape/docs/userintf.htm#Notes

HnewTML or nHTML will help you compose HTML in notes.
You can get nHTML that doesn't expire from Gavin Mckenzie's page:
http://gavinmckenzie.com/wiki/newton/published/nHTML

> Once I got to that point, I chose the 'Create package' option in
> 'Newtscape'. Took a moment or two of crunching to produce a simple eBook in
> my unfiled icons folder. It was labeled as 'Untitled', but I'm sure that
> could be remedied with a bit of foresight and practice.

Put a <TITLE> tag in your note with a Title. ;)

FYI, you need the NewtPack extension in order to save packages:

http://home.comcast.net/~saweyer/newton/newtscape/docs/userintf.htm#Notes

> What's the point? There is a point. There's ALWAYS a point (Well, most of
> the time, anyway). The point is this: Folks who have Internet access on
> their Newtons could theoretically create Newton eBooks from HTML source
> code.

And lots of folks have:

http://home.comcast.net/~saweyer/newton/newtpkgs.htm#books

> I say theoretically, because I'm not sure how 'Newtscape' would
> handle scrolling web pages. Perhaps a page break or something has to be
> inserted every thirty lines of code or so? Not sure yet. But, this

It will scroll and scroll and scroll... the record for largest book made with
Newt's Cape seems to be 881K compressed, 584 pages.

Also, you can make a table of contents at the top of the HTML file using <A
NAME="FOO"> throughout your document to mark the sections and then <A
HREF="#FOO"> to link to them in the TOC.