[NTLK] GPS advice wanted

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 10:03:50 PDT

(Apologies in advance if this has been covered -- I did look in the archives, FAQ,
Wiki, etc.)

Just received my AQ-300 and NewtNav (thanks, Adriano!) (wow, 4 days from Italy to
Canada!). It worked right out of the box with GPSMap2.1 and with TeleTypeGPS.

I'm wondering if anyone has any maps they could share for use with GPSMap that would be
useful to someone living in Eastern Canada, Southern Ontario, or the Toronto area.
I've looked at the instructions for making your own maps just long enough to determine
that it's way beyond my mental powers and available free time.

I did d/l the Ontario towns db for TeleTypeGPS but I'm not sure how to use it. The
names of the waypoints (is that the right term?) for the Toronto area seem to
correspond only roughly with actual geographical names that anyone living here would
recognize.

As you can tell, this GPS stuff is quite new to me, so I'm pretty clueless about how to
use it. So far, all I've done is get my co-ordinates, paste them into Google maps, and
looked at the pretty satellite view of my house. It's cool, but I don't see how it can
help me not get lost while traveling without internet access.

(An [OT] addendum: Any suggestions for software to use on my PowerBook? I've got the
USB adapter for the AQ-300 and it works fine with SimpleGPS, but I'm wondering what
else is available software-wise, particularly without spending a fortune.)

TIA!

Michael