Re: [NTLK] GPS advice wanted

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 01:57:40 PDT

Hi Michael,

I can assure you, I got the same impression when I started to build my first
own map.
But I tried and succeeded.
Finally it is not that complicated as it seems reading the instructions the
very first time.
If you try and go step by step you will see.

The very first thing to do is to find a good source for a Map covering the
area you are interested in.
The map needs to have a grid with the coordinates in lon/lat.
It has also been reported that people succeeded using web based maps.
You need to define 6 points on the Map that you can easily find back in the
picture file (preferably on the grid) and note the lat/lon position for each
of the points.
Next step is to prepare the picture file in greyscale, because the Newt can
only display 16 levels of grey.
For that file you determine the absolute pixel coordinates for your 6
points.
Using the little tool programs you calculate the numerical inputs for NTLK
map preparation.
NTLK with the map preparation template that you adapt to your needs will
produce the map container package that you can download to your Newt.

Do not give up so quickly, finally it is great to have your own map on the
Newt.

Cheers
Johannes

PS: On the Laptop I use MS Autoroute with my GPS mouse when on mission, but
of course that is not te cheepest solution you can think of. But for me it
always was very useful to have.