Re: [NTLK] BT-001 v1.1 antenea?

From: Jake Bordens (newton_at_allaboutjake.com)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 04:19:03 PST

Ahh, I think I understand. This is also in the realm of "possible".
However, again, I don't have the expertise in RF design, nor the
fabrication abilities, to make such an antenna.

On another front, the Samtec connectors that I use to interface to
the internal port are really not right. they're too "high" and thus
cause the board to put pressure on the back of the case. These are
the same connectors that the SER-001 uses, and I've heard similar
things about the SER-001. Worse, the SER-001 uses a much thinner
PCB. (My PCB prototype shop only supports one thickness).

There is a JAE part (IL-WX-32PB-VF-BE) which might work better. I
have a few of them, but not enough to waste them until I know
everything else works. (And only enough for one or two
prototypes). Also, I don't know how much they'd cost in low
quantities, even if we wanted to buy them.

I'm going to experiment with the antennas more this week. I'll try
running a wire to an antenna outside the case and see what happens.

I also have an idea which I really like but is probably too much
effort: redesign the pop-out stylus holder to be an antenna. It
wouldn't be a stylus hold anymore, just an pop-out antenna. I don't
have enough case parts to really prototype something like this anyway.

Jake