Re: [NTLK] Car Adapter for Newtons

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 11:32:08 PST

I would be very leery in sticking any old power plug
in your newt....There have been horror stories here
about people taking all precautions in powering their
newt with a non-Apple powersupply. The reason being is
that the Newt has some weird power requirements that
normal adaptors cannot supply (I remember something
like the adaptor limits the maximum current draw
because the Newt can request infinite current from the
source?...correct me if I'm wrong...)
And with parts becoming scarcer by the day and the
number of people repairing these things live at the
far reaches of the world, the last thing you would
want is to have your Newt die because you plugged in a
power adaptor that wasn't healthy for your Newt...
If you need to use power in a car (GPS and GPRS PC
card usage comes to mind as to why you would need
this) then i suggest that you get a power inverter and
use your Apple certified wall plug in your car.
You can get these things cheap...
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_tol_150wtpwrinv.html
$25...its really a no-brainer!
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> Has anyone heard of a Car adapter for the Newton
> line?
> I'm searching the web and looking for manufacturers
> - I think I have
> tracked one down, but am interested if anyone else
> has info on this or
> actually owns one.
>
> If you have a link or any other info please post
> here.
> If I'm able to negotiate a price - What would be a
> price someone here
> would pay? I think I saw a suggested price of $89
> and contacting
> vendors seem to pull a price of $57 but that' s a
> bit steep still IMO.
> I'm still waiting on a response from the
> manufacturer I contacted and
> likely purchases would go through them or a local
> reseller.
>
> Seems like they may not make them at all though...
> I also know that we need to check the specs so they
> are within the
> guidelines of the a/c adapter spec in some respects
> so it doesn't
> damage our Newtons... If anyone knows what are the
> most important
> specs to be concerned about please mention them
> here.
> --
> God bless,
>
> Sonny Hung
> the Hung Family

=====
"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial