Re: [NTLK] Emate Batteries

From: Adamson_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 06:15:41 PST

In a message dated 2/9/2005 11:28:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sonnyhung_at_gmail.com writes:

Try the following.
-Unplug the eMate (remove adapter)
-Remove PC Card (if you have anything installed)
-Remove ROM PCB
-Remove Memory Upgrade PCB (if you have it)
-Remove Battery

-Now re seat the ROM PCB back into your eMate
-Plug in the A/C Adapter into your eMate and wait for it to turn on
-If it doesn't turn on press the reset button

Now generally this should bring most eMate I've dealt with that had a
problem back to life unless it was more severe.

Now it is more severe you may need to do a Hard Reset
or
Flush the Flash RAM by inserting a MP2x00 ROM PCB
Both these steps will destroy all data but have gotten me out of a
corner when the eMate seemed to go south and did not want to surface..

Hopefully you have a backup somewhere.

Give us a report if it does show life.
Does your eMate have the memory upgrade?
I would suggest you pop the battery out and remove the memory PCB if you
have it

Yes, it does have the Newer Tech upgrade. I have never used a PC card
although I do have two or three memory cards (never installed), laying around. A
little background. I used the eMate for writing a novel and some
papers/articles. It was and is a great unit. Long battery life, viewable in all kinds
of light, durable and nothing but solid performance. Unfortunately, I do not
have a back up. Yes, I know better. It seems that I have always had such
good luck with the product that I didn't want to take the time for a back up.
Lame excuse isn't it? I printed out most of what I need (with the exception
of a few chapters of the novel), before I abandoned the platform. I gave up
 using the Newton (I have three, 2-2100's and 1-upgraded 2000, plus the
eMate), when I couldn't find a reliable sync method. I also had problems
docking. I sort of threw everything in a box and said, these will become classics
some day. I never through away or sell an old piece of technology. I still
have my first Apple ][. Well, 8 different PDA's and a Kyocera phone PDA
later, I decided what I really need is my Newton back. Of course, I still have
major issues to overcome, like no serial ports, I switched computers from Mac
to PC and most of the talk on NewtonTalk is way over my head. I am a user not
a techie. So, I lurk a lot trying to understand what is going on and
eventually I get up the nerve to try something. I still need to go to the hardware
store to get the torx wrenches I need to take off the back of the eMate.
From your advise, I do not know what the ROM PCB looks like, but I am not
inept, just clueless. I truly appreciate everyone's time and suggestions, it is
one thing that stands out about the Newton. The willingness of the community
to help and persevere is just astounding. How the true techies manage to
find/produce workarounds, just amazes me. This post is too long so I will end
it here with a heartfelt thank you.