Re: [NTLK] GPS Mouse Antennas for Newton (was: Hiking Newton)

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 11:45:14 PST

On Thursday, February 10, 2005, at 10:09 AM, Paul Curtis (Nations One
Mortgage) wrote:

> I'm VERY interested in GPS on my MP's. In fact, I would love to
> develop a
> way to "track" MP's with a GPS card in them within a certain radius on
> computer in my truck. The purpose is my 4x4 wheelin', to outfit
> everyone in
> the ride with a MP/GPS and track/record everyone. Great for the camp
> fire
> story telling and mainly search & rescue...

There are ways to track using GPS. I'm sure these are readily available
from some of the internet "Spy Supply" stores. The only thing your
Newton could provide, is to be able to see and log (on a graphic map)
where the location is and then assist in navigating to it (once you
have been verbally given the coordinates over a radio).

GPS "receivers" like the PGM-111 or PCMCIA cards are just that,
receivers. They are only designed to receive the satellite signal,
interpret the data, and calculate results based on the data "received".
Beyond that, your Newton would still need a way to transmit the data.

Bigger things have been accomplished in the name of nerdom, so it IS
doable, highly unlikely though.

Ron

--
---