[NTLK] [Q] Anybody ever tried Newty-Telly-Fishin'?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 05:41:44 PST

I just stumbled across the immense amount of digital & analog PC Card
tv tuners on German Ebay (check
http://search.ebay.de/PC-Card-PCMCIA-TV-Tuner-TV-Tuner-tv-tuner-
converter-
isa_W0QQfromZR40QQsatitleZQ28PCQ20CardQ2cQ20PCMCIAQ29Q20Q28TVQ2dTunerQ2c
Q20TVQ2cQ20TunerQ2cQ20tvQ20tunerQ29Q20Q2dconverterQ20Q2disaQQsojsZ1) by
makers Medion, Technisat, FlyDVB, Satelco, AVerMedia, Terratec...

Say, did anybody ever try turning the Newton into a TV? I know there
were some cool commercial drivers for far-out hardware, and now all
these tv tuner cards are available on Ebay for around EUR 100,--, so it
might be an idea worth trying.
   I guess some of these cards should also play under Linux, and if
there *are* Linux drivers, chances are they are open source, so one
could take a look at them to see the mechanics of the whole thing...
And the Newton *does* have a nice, large screen, right?

That'd be a way cool thing -- I like the idea of having access to
videotext while on a trip (read weather forecasts, check river levels).
Also with the footy-world cup coming up next year and a rabid footy-fan
my co-traveller, I'd love to have a Plan B for the occasional 'yaking
trip during championships (last year during Euro-Cup, I was fortunate
enough to find bars near the river where we could stop to watch the
Must-Watch Games(TM), but that was taking a lot of chances! ;=} ).

All feedback appreciated, esp. any takers, of course. ;=}

Cheers,

DJV.

P.S.: Hey, if you thing this idea is bonkers - well, I didn't wish for
a turning the Newton into a VDR, did I?