Re: [NTLK] Newton packages versus OS X packages

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 05:56:00 PST

Randolphin (rgore_at_newted.dyndns.org) wrote:

>Speaking of Packager's funny behavior somewhere along the way, my
>version of Packager (or maybe MacOS=3F) quit changing the icon on
>the packages it changes. I used to have an icon that looked very
>similar to the earlier icons from MacOs's prior to 9 now the icons
>stay like the installer icons... NCU and NewTen recognize the
>changed programs but I miss the different icon; it was a good way
>to tell if I'd run Packager on it.

I don't think Packager is at fault. I'm not using Packager myself, but
rather a very simple AppleScript droplet:

on open FileList
=09repeat with anObject in FileList
=09=09if not folder of (info for anObject) then
=09=09=09tell application "Finder"
=09=09=09=09set the creator type of anObject to "pkgX"
=09=09=09=09set the file type of anObject to "pkg "
=09=09=09end tell
=09=09end if
=09end repeat
end open

This script just adjusts the type and creator codes, which in itself
suffices to instruct the Finder to fetch the icon from the Newton Package
Installer (pkgX). One could change "pkgX" to "1NCU" to declare NCU as the
package's creator, which should work just as well. If the Finder doesn't
pick up the icon from the new creator, you might need to rebuild the
desktop database (from the Classic system preferences).

- Michael

Michael J. Hu=DFmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW (personal): http://michael-hussmann.de