Re: [NTLK] emate problem

From: Michael Briley (mike_at_maxwell.phys.uwosh.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 19:32:40 PST

It depends on what's failed. If a hinge-spring has come free and
nothing else is wrong, you can fix it yourself for about $0.20US if
you're OK with a few simple tools & some basic soldering. The repairs
are explained in:

http://www.unna.org/unna/repair/eMateHingeRepairv16.pdf

and

http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

An excellent step-by-step take apart guide is here:

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html

If the spring has torn the cable to the display (it won't respond to
the stylus or bits of the screen have gone wacky), you can try and fix
the cable yourself (which is hard! - see the above links), or buy a new
one. Frank Gruendel as a review of a replacement cable here:

http://www.pda-soft.de/ematecable.html

However, at $49US + shipping, you might be better off just getting
another whole eMate off eBay.

As far as people who will do the repair, Frank Gruendel is the only one
I know of off the top of my head. He's in Germany and you can send him
a message at his site (http://www.pda-soft.de/email.html). Of course
you'll have to work out the details with him, and I imagine he's pretty
busy.

Cheers,
-Mike