Re: [NTLK] BBC story: Newton Mentioned

From: Børre Ludvigsen (borrel_at_uchicago.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2005 - 12:34:34 PST

Come on, the article was pure, drooling envy, disguised with a measure
of British stiff upper lip. These things are always veiled in
chauvinism, particularly from those nations on the other side of the
Atlantic of whcih we understand only one language. It would have been
something quite different had the celebration been of computers from
Olivetti (some wonderful designs in the 80's), Bull (yes, it was
French), Siemens (German, staid and just surviving) or - what about the
BBC computer or ACORN or Cambridge - all great stuff that never went
quite far enough when they launched an innovation. And we shook our
heads at 128K and a single diskette drive in 1984!

Be happy that we are among the saved. We won't be for long methinks, if
Apple can anage to produce enough Minis.

- Barre

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, John Charlton wrote:

> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:21:47 -0500
> From: John Charlton <johncharlton_at_mac.com>
> To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] BBC story: Newton Mentioned
>
> On Jan 15, 2005, at 11:33 AM, Clayton Mitchell wrote:
>
> > Yes, but it paints all newton and mac users as zealots
>
> I think it paints mac users as zealots, and one particular Newton user
> as barking mad. :-)
>
> Moof!
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquirie=