Re: [NTLK] Harris 2000 - Apple Newton | Questions...

From: varistor_at_verizon.net
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 09:15:25 PST

On Jan 18, 2005, at 10:55 AM, Sonny Hung wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:20:23 -0500, varistor_at_verizon.net
> <varistor_at_verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Jan 16, 2005, at 10:11 PM, Mark Jozaitis wrote:
>
>>> Any Ideas? Please let me know!
>
> Recently a few purchased two seperate units form another auction
> lister on eBay and fortunately this person did test those two units.
> IIIRC she mentioned to me that they tested these units with 6V power
> and I think it was the two outer contact (of the four inside the
> battery compartment.
>
> ***** I AM NOT TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF ANY OF THIS INFO IS INCORRECT
> AND CAN NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE IF YOU TRY ANYTHING I MENTION
> *****
>
> I took one unit I purchased apart to see and I believe with the unit
> facing down the far left contact is the GND [Neg] and likely the far
> right id the [Pos]. Please do some further investigation yourself
> before you try anything.

Alright, I just did something that was either incredibly stupid or
incredibly stupid and disastrous.

I took a 6 volt battery and a could of pieces of wire, and hooked them
up to the DGND and VBATT contacts.

Turns out it was merely incredibly stupid. The unit turned on, and says
it's running NOS 2.0 (515264)

And it has a number of packages installed. Unfortunately, it starts up,
gets to the note pad, and stays there for about 2 seconds,
after which it promptly turns itself off. So far I've only gotten in to
turn on again by soft resetting the unit.

That said, I would still be very careful trying to reproduce this, as
hooking it up to a 6 volt dry cell is probably not very bright.

Cheers to the protector of fools.