Re: [NTLK] Harris 2000 - Apple Newton | Questions...

From: varistor_at_verizon.net
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 10:24:45 PST

On Jan 18, 2005, at 12:15 PM, varistor_at_verizon.net wrote:

>> I took one unit I purchased apart to see and I believe with the unit
>> facing down the far left contact is the GND [Neg] and likely the far
>> right id the [Pos]. Please do some further investigation yourself
>> before you try anything.
>
> Alright, I just did something that was either incredibly stupid or
> incredibly stupid and disastrous.
>
> I took a 6 volt battery and a could of pieces of wire, and hooked them
> up to the DGND and VBATT contacts.
>
> Turns out it was merely incredibly stupid. The unit turned on, and =
says
> it's running NOS 2.0 (515264)
>
> And it has a number of packages installed. Unfortunately, it starts =
up,
> gets to the note pad, and stays there for about 2 seconds,
> after which it promptly turns itself off. So far I've only gotten in =
> turn on again by soft resetting the unit.

Turns out the turn-off problem was an issue with the battery running=20
down.
It's running off of AC (6 volt adapter, meters at 6.2 Volts), and works=20=

quite well.

According to the memory info window, it's running NOS 2.0 (515264)-0,
and has 512k ram and 1361k of storage (1032 k free)
The following packages are installed:
ComAssist:ALLPEN (throws a 48200)
ExchangeList (About says it's Super Tech R1 Build 18 9/18/96,=20
=A91994-1996 Harris, Dracon Division)
Ginglith:ALLPEN (an extension)
HAPI:ALLPEN (Another extension)
protoRadioAdmin:ALLPEN (another extension, apparently required by Radio=20=

Admin)
RadioAdmin (threw a -10061 once, which I thought was 4 mb ram only.=20
Appears to be a radio configuration tool,
has options for looking for groupers (Digital Ocean's Wireless backpack=20=

unit), has the Harris Corp. and ALLPEN logos)
TAN (Appears to by integrated with the Technician Assistant, and is=20
likewise for phone workers. Made by ALLPEN for Harris,
has a call button, appears to be related to telephony, but I haven't=20
yet determined its actual function.)
teiglin:allpen (an extension)

Launching Assist also brings up the technician assistant, with appears=20=

to be a task-oriented help system.

Now, does anyone know if there's some way I could copy these off? The=20
unit lacks IR support, and has no standard serial ports.
It does have a PC card slot, which I'll look into useing, but I'd like=20=

to have a back up of the current system state before I install=20
anything.

Cheers

Actually, it appears that either the Ginglith or teiglin packages=20
disable the IR, Fax, and eWorld Mail support.
There are no outwardly visible IR ports, however I do have a modem card=20=

that appears to work, though I'm not sure if
I can do a modem-to-modem connection. Does anyone know how feasible=20
this would be?

Oh, and the internal radio appears to work, though I have nothing to=20
connect to. When I do a grouper search, it finds two internal devices.=20=

Also, the same extension that disables IR and all also adds a wireless=20=

status button to the notes app.