Re: [NTLK] MORE questions

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 12:38:28 PST

* Nathan McDaniel <tesla4d_at_mailaka.net> [19 Jan 2005 03:44]:
> 1) Is there an established nickname for Newton-users? Was I the first to call us Newtonians?

There are several. Personally, I like newtoneers :-)

> 2) I'm an ametuer sci-fi writer, and I use both my Newton and my
> Windows XP box. so far, though, the only way to transfer my work from
> one to the other is to e-maul myself (pun intended). Ncu will only
> install packages, and nck won't work on my PC at all. If memory
> serves, the problem seems to stem from a port conflict. What should I
> do?

If NCU will install packages for you, then NCK is the wrong version for
your Newton and you don't need to worry about it not working.

I'm an SF writer too, and last year I wrote an entire novel on my Newt. I
admit I wasn't using NCU/windows, but I did text export of notes (not
NewtonWorks documents) every day; NCU/mac and nXchange/linux were my
main connections to the Newt.

On NCU on the computer (it never seems to work when initiated from the
newt) choose "export", tell it you want notes and not all of them but
selected ones, and let it prompt you through the process. With NCU/mac
choosing RDF format works best; I'm not sure which is best for NCU/win.

If this doesn't work for you, post the error message you get and exactly
what behaviour you see, and we can go from there.

> 4) I tend to do my thinking in batches, as some have no doubt noticed.
> For future reference, should I send one large e-mail, or a handful of
> smaller ones?

Doesn't bother me either way, and I've sent questions both ways and got
answers :-)

-Rhonda

--
Discuss the art and craft of writing - http://www.write-on.org
Did you know... the Earth's gravity field is weakest in India