Re: [NTLK] OS X lite for handheld?

From: Hannes Wolf (TeddyTheBear_at_magnet.at)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 01:39:27 PST

> Richard Kilpatrick <dmc12_at_btconnect.com> wrote:

> Depends entirely on your purpose. I use PalmVNC on a Clie UX50 which
> has 480 x 320, if I could get scaling to work it would be fine; as it
> is I can see slightly less than 1/4 of the screen (as my host machine
> is a G3/266 running 10.3.7 with an LCD display, I can't set different
> res due to the fixed adaptor I use). This is sufficient to control
> iTunes from, for example. The UX50 is a great Palm VNC box as it has
> WLAN. One tap per 1/4 screen basically. Hardly an effort.

As I said, for controlling EyeTV it doesnt matter to just see a quarter
of the screen, but for really interactive work, seeing less than 100%
of the screen is possible, but IMHO not practical. If I could have got
scaling to work on my Palm it might have been a little bit easier, but
as you say, it just doesnt scale!

> Bluetooth for the Mac or for the client? UX50 has a keyboard built in.
> Newton has more res on the eMate and 2100 but they are painfully slow
> for VNC and lack enough memory to actually maintain a decent window
> size; plus the lack of colour is a real pain.

My Newton2100 has just the same 480*320 resoltution as your CLIE, which
is just 50% of VGA. And BTW: even VGA is not perfect, when you are used
to XGA and bigger screen, but at least it is somehow workable
fullscreen...

> Regardless - I think Wired have taken a particularly dense spin on this
> article which I think will lose them (more) credibility with people who
> actually know about computers. VNC is not running a 'lite' OS or any
> such thing. I have every intention of using it to control a Mac Mini
> media server when I get around to getting one (it will replace my beige
> G3 and give me an entirely 'Jobs era' collection of PowerMacs, even if
> a lot of my 68K hardware predates it.

Just read the article on wired.com again. Nowhere are they talking or
implying, that I am "running a 'lite' OS" on the PocketPC:

>he can call up his Mac in Vienna

>OS X runs AS THOUGH it were installed on his Fujitsu Siemens handheld

>Teddy is able to call up his PowerBook at home.

>can exert total control through his Pocket PC

>which makes remote browsing of a desktop computer practical

I guess these quotes from the article show very clearly, that it is all
about remote control of MacOSX and not running MacOSX locally.

Hannes Wolf (CyBear).