Re: [NTLK] OS X lite for handheld?

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 03:23:50 PST

>From: Richard Kilpatrick <dmc12_at_btconnect.com>
>Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:55:31 +0000

>On 20 Jan 2005, at 19:54, Hannes Wolf wrote:

> > The main and really big difference here is to use a VGA display on the
> > client. Anything less than VGA is just a drag!

>Depends entirely on your purpose. I use PalmVNC on a Clie UX50 which
>has 480 x 320, if I could get scaling to work it would be fine; as it
>is I can see slightly less than 1/4 of the screen (as my host machine
>is a G3/266 running 10.3.7 with an LCD display, I can't set different
>res due to the fixed adaptor I use). This is sufficient to control
>iTunes from, for example. The UX50 is a great Palm VNC box as it has
>WLAN. One tap per 1/4 screen basically. Hardly an effort.

Neat setup! I currently use my old iBook and iTunes sharing to
control iTunes. I have tried VNC on the Newt - high cool factor, but
totally unstable, and I have tried VNC on the iBook - some
advantages over iTunes sharing, but too slow in comparison. The UX50
setup is very attractive, since it is small, energy efficient &
totally quiet, but I guess for the price I would rather put a quiet
drive in my iBook.

Oliver :)

--
"boom - boom - boom" - Steve Jobs